Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Life in Roma: Sara Young



Buongiorno from Roma! I am very excited that I can take a break from homework to write to you fine women!

Being here in Rome has been a total dream come true for me. There are endless things to do and see here. My school lies right across the bridge from the beautiful Castel Sant’Angelo, due east of St. Peter’s Basilica and Vatican City. Our classes are really awesome because we have required field trips every Wednesday all around the city. I get to see and study places like the Colosseum, Vittoriano, Roman Forum, Pantheon and Vatican for class credit! I am also a part of a photography class which is great because I can bring more of a creative eye to the photos I will be bringing home. Whenever I have down time or breaks between classes, I usually just take a walk and get lost (voluntarily). It continuously blows my mind that you can turn a corner and be greeted by a monument that was built long before our time. I have been told that it takes a lifetime to fully understand Rome… I think that is the understatement of the year!

I have had the pleasure of seeing beautiful places inside of Italy as well as out. One of my favorites so far has been wine tasting in Tuscany with my IES program! My upcoming trips include Springfest in Munich, hiking in Cinque Terre, and visiting friends in Belgium and Ireland before I return home. Although I am very excited to start my internship at Abbott Labs this summer, I am not looking forward to the day that I hop on a plane for the last time.

Being abroad has taught me that transition and change is not easy, but it is totally worth it. Pushing yourself in a situation like this brings you to a new level of independence. I have learned a lot about this city and a lot about myself during my time here. Next time I walk past the Trevi Fountain I will toss in a coin and make a wish for my Wibbers!

Ciao ragazze, e buona Pasqua!

No comments:

Post a Comment